Corrugated cardboard packaging is a material used to make custom boxes in Canada and throughout North America. It consists of three layers. Also called pleated cardboard, the inner and outer two layers are flat, while the inner layer consists of fluting, an arched sheet of paper in a wavy pattern. Corrugated cardboard offers significant advantages as a packaging material.
What Can Cardboard Be Used For?
Corrugated cardboard is a versatile material that can be used for a variety of purposes, including packaging, displays, art, construction, and insulation. Read more about some of the most common uses of corrugated boxes:
- Packaging: Corrugated cardboard is the most common material used for packaging. It is strong, lightweight, and recyclable, making it an ideal choice for shipping and storing goods.
- Displays: Corrugated cardboard can also be used to create displays for products. It is lightweight and easy to assemble, making it a cost-effective option for trade shows and other events.
- Art: Cardboard packaging boxes can also be used to create art. Artists have used it to create sculptures, furniture, and other creative avenues of expression.
- Construction: Corrugated cardboard can also be used in construction. It is often used to create temporary structures, such as shelters and scaffolding.
- Insulation: Cardboard packaging benefits homeowners and property managers by being an excellent insulator. It can be used to insulate homes, businesses, and other buildings.
Environmental Benefits of Corrugated Cardboard Packaging
- Elimination of plastic usage: Corrugated cardboard is a renewable resource, and it can be recycled infinitely. This means that it can be used over and over again, without the need for new materials.
- Low CO2 emissions: Corrugated cardboard is a lightweight material, which means that it requires less energy to transport than heavier materials, such as plastic. This helps to reduce CO2 emissions, protect the ozone layer and improve air quality.
- Recyclable components: Corrugated cardboard is made up of three layers: a liner, a flute, and another liner. All of these components can be recycled, which means that no waste is created when the packaging is disposed of.
- Energy saving: Corrugated cardboard is an excellent insulator, which means that it can help to keep products cool or warm during shipping. This can help to reduce energy consumption, as businesses do not need to use as much energy to cool or heat their products.
If, for some reason, a corrugated cardboard box does end up in a landfill, it will not harm the environment. Cardboard is biodegradable, meaning that it will eventually break down in the landfill, leaving no detectable trace of its previous existence. This is in sharp contrast to plastic containers that either sit intact in a landfill indefinitely or keep breaking down into smaller shards without biodegrading.
Additional Benefits of Using Cardboard Packaging
In addition to the environmental benefits, cardboard boxes provide several advantages to both producers and consumers. Consider many of these advantages:
Strength and Resilience
The pleated fluting of the cardboard packaging isn’t just for looks. Its structure is designed specifically for durability and strength. The middle layer touches the outer and inner layers at alternating points, helping the cardboard hold its shape and making it more difficult to crush or tear.
Because cardboard box packaging is durable and holds its shape so well, it provides protection for delicate materials inside, cushioning and protecting them from damage. This is especially important if a product is going to be shipped over long distances and handled multiple times along the way.
Corrugated cardboard doesn’t just protect your products from damage due to force. It is designed to prevent bacterial growth by resisting moisture. This is important if the contents are going to be in storage for a long time or if the contents are particularly susceptible to harm. For example, exposure to bacteria could cause food products to spoil, but corrugated cardboard can help keep it fresh even if shipping times are long.
Versatility and Flexibility
Cardboard is a type of paper, which makes it flexible. It can be broken down flat for storage and used to contain a wide range of different materials. The most common uses for corrugated cardboard include pizza delivery boxes, retail displays, and shipping containers. Shipping boxes, trays, and 6-pack carriers all offer a durable and reusable solution.
Sustainability and Durability
If you are concerned about not polluting the environment, corrugated cardboard is a packaging option you should consider for its sustainability. Because of corrugated cardboard’s durability and versatility, end users can and often do keep reusing them for a number of different tasks. Corrugated cardboard boxes are recyclable and, in fact, most of them have already been made from recycled materials.
If your business involves shipping your goods, packaging them in corrugated cardboard not only helps protect them while they are en route, but also saves you money. Shipping costs are usually determined by weight, with heavier packages being more costly to ship.
Because cardboard is lightweight, it doesn’t add much to the overall weight of the package, saving you money on shipping costs. Compared to other packaging options, corrugated cardboard boxes themselves are among the least expensive.
Because cardboard is made of paper, it can be printed with your logo or the name of your company. However, that is not the only way that it can be customized. Custom boxes in Canada come in all different sizes. They can even be formed into different shapes if you require a box that is nonstandard because of a special packaging need.
There are also options to make corrugated cardboard flame-resistant or to add different adhesives and coatings for practical and aesthetic purposes. The thickness of the cardboard can also be customized so that you can choose a heavier, thicker stock if you require even more protection. Just bear in mind that some methods used to customize the appearance of corrugated cardboard, such as dyes or bleaches, might affect their recyclability.
Trust Kinsbrae for All Your Cardboard Packaging Needs
If you are looking for a high-quality, sustainable, customer-focused, and convenient corrugated cardboard supplier, Kinsbrae Packaging is the perfect choice for your business. We practice sustainability, have expert customer service and make it convenient and easy for you to order our products.
- Sustainability: Kinsbrae Packaging is committed to sustainability and environmental responsibility. We use recycled materials whenever possible, and it recycles all of its production waste.
- Customer service: We have a team of experienced and knowledgeable customer service representatives who are available to help you with any questions or concerns you may have. You can reach us by phone, email, or online form.
- Convenience: Kinsbrae Packaging offers a variety of convenient ordering options, including online ordering, phone ordering, and mail order.
Contact us today to find out more about how Kinsbrae Packaging can help you choose cost-effective packaging options for your business model.